Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Photo Tips - Tutorials

I stumbled across one of the greatest sites for photo tips, and I wanted to share.  It's called Photo Tuts and they have 100 tutorials on a huge variety of photography topics.

They offer pointers on composition, diy projects like reflectors, lighting (lots of lighting articles, lol), basic techniques (ISO, white balance, aperture), and specific scenes (mid-day light, beach, portraits).

It seems like they cover absolutely everything you need to know about taking great photos, and they do it with fabulous photos and videos.

Composition:

Balancing Images (Weight)
Rule of Thirds
Symmetry
Equipment DIY Projects:

Make Your Own Light Reflector
Light Diffuser (aka 'cloud cover')
Homemade Light Box
Lighting:

Fluorescent Lighting
Polarizing Filter
Basic Techniques:

Slow Shutter Speed
Depth of Field (Aperture)

Specific Scenes:

Mid-day Sun Shots
Photographing Water
Black and Whites
Portraits
They also have a Quick Tips section with keys on how to take better shots of your pets and your children, as well as more technical aspects, like how to avoid shaking the camera and taking great mobile phone pics.

You could spend several days exploring this site.  I hope to dig into some of these topics a little deeper in the future and share those with you.  In the meantime, if you're looking for ideas or for answers to your photography questions, do check out this site.

(This is where I should put the blurb about not being reimbursed or sponsored in any way by Photo Tuts, I was just really struck by their site.) Happy snapping.  :)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great site! I wish that we could have a skype class of all of us trying new photo tips together!! Wouldn't that be awesome!?!? I am definitely going to be checking out this site! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

It does look like a great site. I'm borrowing a dslr for the upcoming vacation. I'll have to get busy of some tips NOW!

Macey said...

I need to try out the light box and work on the rule of thirds.

Unknown said...

Looks really cool!! I am headed over to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Thanks Terry! I can really use some photography help!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...