Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Casserole Covers

I love everything about this idea of a casserole cover.   Your little potluck offering looks awesome even before people get a look at your food, you won't have to risk spilling your awesome kitchen contribution en route,  and these covers fancy up even the most ordinary salad (not that you'd EVER be bringing an ordinary salad).

And they're super easy to make.  If I'm saying they're easy,...you know for sure they are (just refer to Monday to see what I'm talking about).



There is a fabulous tutorial at The Cottage House.  Check it out for much better instructions than this.  I started with this cute fabric and extra wide, double bias tape.



The hardest part of this project for me was making the circle.  I know, I know.  I have to make the simplest things so difficult.  In the end, I attached a piece of string (7 inches long because I wanted the cover to be 14 inches diameter) to a pen and drew a half circle on folded fabric.





Remember to leave a space for the elastic.  It's possible that someone didn't remember this step.  Oops.





That was it.  This sample ended up being a little large, so the next couple will be smaller, giving me a nice assortment.  Now I just need to be invited somewhere by someone who wants me to bring food.  :)


I'm partying over here:
Super Sweet Thursday Par-tay (Fabulously Flawed)
Strut Your Stuff (Somewhat Simple)
It's a Party (A Creative Princess)
Thriving on Thursdays (Domesblissity)
Freestyle Friday (Happy Hour Projects)
Shine on Fridays (One Artsy Mama)
Feature Yourself Friday (Fingerprints on the Fridge)
Flaunt It Friday (Chic on a Shoestring)
Frugal Friday (The Shabby Nest)
Frugalicious Friday (Finding Fabulous)
Weekend Bloggy Reading Link Up (Serenity Now)
Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home)

10 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

I love this idea! You're right, makes your 'offering' look much more impressive and thoughtful!

Amy Bateman said...

This is one of those things on my to-do list (that seems to just grow and grow without things getting checked off, why is that?). They look so easy, but really dress up your dish.

Adrianne Surian said...

Oh, you are ALWAYS invited to bring me food. :)

This looks awesome, Terry, I'm pinning it! I am wondering if it might also be smart to line it with something water-resistant? In case you put something in there that might get on it, then it won't show through on the top?? Hmm... wheels turning...

Unknown said...

You have an open invitation to come over and bring food any time!! I am excited you made these! I want to try them too. OOOOoooo, I may have to put the crochet hook down for a while a sew!

Mary Neumann said...

How clever, love this! I really want to learn how to sew!!!

I featured you today!

http://www.sweetlittlebluebird.com/2012/01/oh-so-very-sweetthank-you.html

Hope you're having a great week!

Cheers ~ Mary

Macey said...

I need to move on in my sewing...see, I've been rockin' the straight line for a couple years now and I need to move on to circles...and...**gulp**...bias tape.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Perfect! I love your fabric and I've never been brave enough to do bias tape!

On a side note, I took Tierni to the library today for Story Time and saw that they have a beginning crochet class for 3 weeks in Feb. Guess who's signing up?! Greg thinks I'm a nerd.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love that fabric Terry.

Becky and the Beanstock said...

I love it! So very pretty and useful. And kind of funny -- I'm going to cover you up and tuck you in and keep you warm, little casserole. And then I'm going to eat you!!! Actually reminds me of the British tea cozy (which we, naturally, have in abundance).

Maria said...

Wow I've never seen a casserole cover before! I LOVE this idea! Thanks for posting this project, I love to sew and this doesn't look too complicated to make!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...