Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Cake and a Cutie Patootie

My family got together for my mom's birthday and I was in charge of dessert.  I wanted to make a flourless chocolate cake but lost my favourite recipe with my last computer crash so I had to find a new one.  I trusted Martha and she did a pretty good job.

The ingredients are pretty simple:  butter, chocolate, eggs and sugar.  Sounds like heaven, doesn't it.


I used a mix of dark chocolate and semi-sweet because the group was split on their preferences (I'm a bitter dark chocolate gal - wonder what that signifies? hmmmm?).



The eggs are separated and the whites are whipped up to stiff peaks.  Do you know what this means?  It means that the peaks will remain upright even after you stop beating the egg whites.





This wonky-looking gooey brownie cake needed some help in the presentation department, so I picked up some whipped cream, the aerosol kind, and let my nephew, Lucas,  have at it.


It was a serious job because this cake was for Grams' birthday.  You can see the concentration.


A couple of candles.  Beautiful job, Lucas!


Happy Birthday, Mom/Grams!

This is where I'm partying:
It's A Party (A Creative Princess)
Super Sweet Thursday Par-tay (Fabulously Flawed)
Freestyle Friday (Happy Hour Projects)
Shine On Fridays (One Artsy Mama)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you come make my next birthday cake? This looks yummy! And Lucas did a great job decorating. I'm sure you mom LOVED it.

Macey said...

Holy yum, that looks awesome.

Stephanie said...

yes it does look like Heaven...especially since we're doing 1 week vegan....what.were.we.thinking?!?!?! ;-p

Adrianne Surian said...

Aww, I love the whipped cream job he did! Looks awesome!

Mindy said...

Oh man, that doesn't look like it sucks AT ALL!

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Our family is gluten free, and I will definitely be trying this!

Becky and the Beanstock said...

Hah! You weren't kidding when you said Lucas really got into the serious task of whipped cream application! Cutie patoutie is right. (An aside: I've been wondering how to spell patoutie. That's my pet name for Jax -- cutie patoutie. He flops when I say it).

momto8 said...

The decorator adds the magic touch!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

I LOL's at the "decorator" mine is the same way, thinks more is better, so fun. And this sounds great too.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Love that you let your nephew do the decorating! I bet that made the cake even more special for your mother!

Unknown said...

Mmmm...deliciousness! I'll have to direct my MIL to this; she's gluten intolerant. Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...