Monday, January 30, 2012

Crochet Valentine Hearts

Most of this past week I have been working on a project for my Valentine, Carol-Anne.  I can't reveal (yet) what I have made for her, but part of what I needed for the project was a crocheted heart.

I've never made a crochet heart before, so I went in search of free (of course) online patterns and gave three of them a try.  All three were great patterns, easy and quick to make.  Here are my notes on each of them:

#1
Little Birdie Secrets
This is a tiny heart, only one round and it took me 5 minutes to complete the version with the thin red yarn (I think my eyesight is going).  The thicker beige yarn was much faster (I could see the stitches better) and only took 2 minutes.  This is a cute heart, but I was looking for something with a little more presence.


#2
Planet M Files
This heart had two rounds so it had a meatier look but I wasn't as pleased with the end result.  I found that the top part of the heart wasn't pronounced enough; it looked too round.  The tutorial for this heart, however, was fabulous with awesome step-by-step photos, but I still didn't have the beautiful heart I needed for my Valentine piece.



#3
Skip To My Lou
This pattern was my favourite.  This heart was both more substantial and more complex with the extra rounds.  I still had some difficulty seeing the smaller stitches when using the thinner red yarn (totally a me thing, not a pattern thing), but the hearts look so adorable that I struggled through with my bad eyesight.  This was the heart that I ended up using for the,.....oops, I almost gave it away.  For the secret gift.




Stay tuned and I'll be sure to share the actual Valentine gift once I have sent it off, and Carol-Anne of Use The Good Dishes (my lovely Valentine) has received it.

This is where I'm partying:
Make It Great Monday (Etcetorize)
MoreThe Merrier (DIY Home Sweet Home)
Make It Yourself Monday (For Love of Cupcakes)
Super Sweet Thursday Par-tay (Fabulously Flawed)
Thriving on Thursdays (Domesblissity)
Strut Your Stuff (Somewhat Simple)
It's a Party (A Creative Princess)
Freestyle Friday (Happy Hour Projects)
Feature Yourself Friday (Fingerprints on the Fridge)
Flaunt It Friday (Chic on a Shoestring)
Frigal Friday (The Shabby Nest)
Weekend Bloggy Reading (Serenity Now)
Shine On Fridays (One Artsy Mama)
Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

The third pattern is awesome! :D

Unknown said...

The first and last ones are my favorites. I can't wait to see what all is in your package. Carol-Anne is a lucky Valentine.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Those crocheted hearts are adorable!!
A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

Etcetorize said...

They all look like hearts, so that's a plus, but I agree, the last one is the winner~

Macey said...

I was JUST getting ready to try to make some of those! :)

Adrianne Surian said...

I am way, way too excited to see what you end up sending! :D

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Your post made me cry! Because I'm a stupid "put things off until the last minute person", I called today to register for the crochet class to start on Friday. It's full!! Now what the heck (I cleaned that up for your blog) am I going to do?! I was so excited to make cute little things like that and now I'm back to square one. As I wipe my tears, I love the last one you did! Maybe someday...

Rika said...

These are lovely.

Unknown said...

Love these - might have to try them out as long as I'm knitting and crocheting tiny things :)

Simply Tasheena said...

You did an amazing job!

Mrs. Delightful recently posted: My Memories Giveaway @ ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Carol-Anne said...

Wow! I can't wait to see what it is! Just reminding you that I'm not nearly as crafty & clever as you are, so don't have high expectations!

Unknown said...

Cute, Terry! I like the third one best too. I'm glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!

Unknown said...

Hey!! I just noticed you hit 200 followers! CONGRATS, girl!

Domesblissity said...

Hi Terry, these are so cute! I love it! I want to thank you so much for linking up each week to my "Thriving on Thursdays" linky party. You always have such fantastic ideas. The party will be starting again in just over 12 hours so if you get a chance, I'd love to see what you've been up to this week.

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...