Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Photo Tips - Babies

Taking photos of babies isn't all that difficult.  Most of the time they won't move around too much and you can put them wherever you want to.  Taking great photos of babies, well that is entirely different.  Here are a few tips to help make your baby photos great.

Timing:  Try to time your photo sessions when baby is a little sleepy.  Not grumpy sleepy, but dopey, adorable sleepy.

Source

Lighting:  As much as possible, use natural lighting to get the best photos of baby.  Outside (weather permitting) or indoors close to a window are great settings.

Source

Comfort:  Do the obvious stuff to make baby feel at ease.  Make sure the room is warm enough or cool enough (depending on your climate of course).  Take care of feeding, changing, burping, and whatever else is part of your regular routine to make baby feel settled and relaxed.

Source

Style:  Take a few moments to pose baby and try to incorporate props, like a basket or doll crib, to add extra cuteness to the photos.  When you are trying to pose baby, be super gentle and patient and aim to have baby sort of melt into a position.  Obviously, you don't want to force baby into any unnatural postures.

Source

Zoom:  Zoom in and zoom out.  Get full body shots of baby, but don't overlook closeups.  Tiny little hands or toes can create gorgeous macro photos.

Source
Join up here again next week where I will have examples of interesting ways to pose baby and fun props you can use.

References:
Inspire Me Baby
Digital Photography School
Hub Pages

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute post! I tried when Lotte was little to get good baby photos and they were pretty bad. I love the tip to zoom in on feet and hands. I love chubby little hands. Can't wait for next week!

Etcetorize said...

Super cute! I have one other suggestion, which is captured in most of your examples and might seem obvious but...the picture taker needs to move themself down to the same level as the baby. I've seen some great opportunities for pictures go lost because the photographer was at a crazy high angle.

momto8 said...

thanks..I have been doing this all wrong all these yrs!haha no wonder we can't get good shots!

Adrianne Surian said...

Thank goodness for digital cameras with insane amounts of storage, too. Sometimes it takes a lot, and I mean a LOT of shots before you catch them cooperating, LOL.

Thanks for the tips as always, Terry!! :)

Macey said...

I tried to take baby feet shots once. :)

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

We don't have any babies around just yet but I'm sure if they ever arrive the pics will be taken in earnest. Hope you are having a good week so far...Ann

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

We don't have any babies around just yet but I'm sure if they ever arrive the pics will be taken in earnest. Hope you are having a good week so far...Ann

Unknown said...

soooo cute! my husband is so excited to start our family, he's already mentioned that he'll be the photographer :)

hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration!

Check out the unique hand tailored apron I am giving away
here

Sell WoW Accounts said...

great tips!

Lesley said...

I want to untie my devilish tubes just to have a baby to take photos of.
But I can't. Maybe I could kidnap a baby just for one day so that I can take photos of it. I'm sure the parents would drop the charges if they say how cute the photos were.

Mindy said...

Clearly you are the professional here. If you could be at the hospital at 10am on the 1st, that would be greaaaaaaaat. Also, plan on camping out there for a few days. And then you can just crash on the couch for a week after that. Thaaaaaaanks.

P.S. That first pictures is so damn sweet I can hardly stand it.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...