Monday, January 9, 2012

Crocheted Hat with Flower



Though my thumbs hurt most of the time, I really have to thank Kadie from Seven Alive for getting me started back with crocheting.  I find it so relaxing and satisfying when I (finally) complete something.

This most recent project was the last piece to a Christmas gift that is getting sent out way too late.  Yes, my head is hanging in shame, but I am comforted by the fact that many parts of North American haven’t really seen winter yet, so there is still time for it to be used this season.

I used this pattern as my guide but my crochet hook was a little smaller than she suggested so I ended up doing rounds of 54 stitches to get it around my head.  I just kept trying it on to make sure it would fit and adjusting when it seemed too tight.

I really liked Kadie’s scalloped edge on her hat so I figured out a way to do something similar.  I did 5 double crochet stitches in the first stitch, skipped a stitch, and then repeated it.  This made the scallops close together and full which I thought went well with my taller-thinner version of the hat, giving it an almost flapper feel to it.





I used this pattern for the flower.  I wasn’t able to figure out how to attach these two flower pieces as I made them, so instead, I made two separate flowers.  I attached the two flowers together and adhered them to the hat with a button in the centre.




I will definitely be making more of these hats, but with the hook size that is suggested in the pattern.  They whip up really quickly and I'm thinking of customizing at least one in Bruins colours.

And Happy Birthday to my mom.  :)

Linking up here:
Make It Great Monday (Etcetorize)
Creative Crafts (Today's Creative Blog)
Take a Look Tuesday (Sugar Bee Crafts)
Anything Goes (Type A Decorating)
Tuesday Time Out (Reasons to Skip the Housework)
Inspiration Board Link Party (Homework)
Wow Us Wednesdays (Savvy Southern Style)
What We Wore and Made (Rae Gunwear)
Link It Up Wedneday (Junk in Their Trunk)
Taking Time Out Thursday (Mom on Timeout)
It's a Party (A Creative Princess)
Thriving On Thursdays (Domesblissity)
Super Sweet Thursday Par-tay (Fabulously Flawed)
Freestyle Friday (Happy Hour Projects)

13 comments:

Mindy said...

Shut. Up. This is so friggin' cute!!!!

Happy birthday Mom. :o)

Unknown said...

Sorry you had a hard time with the flower. It turned out really well though. Can't wait to see the Bruins colored one!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Such a cute hat! You're gooood! Plus, I love your persistence.

Adrianne Surian said...

I love it!! The scalloped edge really makes it!

Macey said...

LOVE that! I need to try to make a hat, but I'm skurred.

Macey said...

And happy bday to your mama!

Becky and the Beanstock said...

Aw, come on. Let's see it on your head!!!

Lindsay said...

I just started to make crocheted hats for my baby girl using the Best Baby Cloche pattern. Love it!

You did a great job and I am sure that it will not matter a bit that it is late since you did such a beautiful job!!

Amy said...

Love love love!! Grey is my favorite color and this hat is adorable! The scalloped edge is perfect and this hat is so cute. It makes me want to try my hand at a hat. I've never finished one(except a small one for my daughters dolls) because I always loose count of my rows or mess up eventually. This one looks so easy I think I'm going to try it sometime. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah L. said...

Your blog is insanely cute! And I love this post :)

I'm happy to be your newest follower and am hoping that you'll visit my BRAND NEW blog and follow me back!

Thanks a million :)
Sarah @ Dotted Line Crafts

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Okay, now that's just awesome! I'm telling you, you need to open an Etsy shop!

And because I'm a selfish person, I've been all wrapped up in my problems and forgot to tell you that your button worked perfect after you fixed it.

Janice said...

That hat is gorgeous and I LOVE the color. I would like one in mommy-size and I don't mind at all that Christmas is over. :)

(Found you through Fabulously Flawed's linky party)

Domesblissity said...

This is so cute. I think I'm going to have to make my daughter one of these for winter. Just wanted to thank you for linking up on my Thriving on Thursdays linky party last week. It's on again tomorrow (Thursday Australian time) and we'd love to see what you've been up to.

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...