Tuesday, April 3, 2012

House Tips Series - Shower Cleaner

I am pretty excited about this recipe.  It's super simple and does a few things really well.  It's supposed to be a spray cleaner for the shower.  This appealed to me because our shower is taller than I am by a good 4 feet, so the top glass area of our shower (anything higher than I can reach) has never been cleaned (don't judge - I've been on the verge of getting that ladder out for 3 years now).

Anyway, I sprayed the cleaner on, left it for a couple of hours, and rinsed it all off.  Lo' and behold, all of the spotties were gone.  Gone.  I kept going into the bathroom and checking it out, clucking my satisfaction while my husband dialed up the looney bin.



Here's how I made it:


** 1 part Dawn dish detergent and 3 parts white vinegar **
(some recipes I saw said to heat the vinegar but I really can't be trusted with tasks like that - visualize a melty spray bottle and you'll understand what I mean)

Again, I don't know if it has to be Dawn or not, but that's what I used.

And it was awesome.  It got all of the water deposits off of the glass and made the chrome absolutely sparkle.  I will definitely be using this again, especially on the spots that are too high for me to actually reach.

Here are the caveats:

1.  The tiles looked the same so I don't know if it did anything on them or not. I'm guessing it did based on the glass results, but I can't be sure.

2.  The shower head had that white mineral deposit staining on it and this spray didn't touch that at all.  It would probably be fine as a preventive but I'll need to find something else to get rid of the mineral deposits.  I even tried again just to see, but it definitely didn't work for this application.

This stuff worked so well on the glass that I wondered if it would work on window glass.  The east windows are disgusting at our house.  I don't know why, but check this out.



I sprayed the window and left it for a couple of hours.


I just rinsed it off, let it dry on its own, and then stood back to admire.



How crazy is that?!!!@

Normally I would use a vinegar/water combo with a wet cloth and then a buffing dry cloth.  This way was so easy.  No ladder, no rubbing, no scrubbing, no drying.  Just spray, rinse, admire.  I could get used to this.

So, overall I loved this recipe for the glass and chrome, and would find something else to take care of the white water stains.  (Dawn was on sale this week and you can bet I stocked up).

9 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I use vinegar, but have to scrub. If I just have to spray and rinse some time later, I'm adding dishwashing detergent. Don't know if they sell Dawn over here, so I'll try what we have. Thanks so much for the tip, Terry!!!

Adrianne Surian said...

I need to do our outside windows too... if I can just spray and rinse, that would rock. You find the best things to share, Terry!

Kara Renee said...

That's crazy awesome. I've gotta try this!!

Unknown said...

Okay I bought my dawn but forgot to get a spray bottle. Duh!! That's what happens when you go shopping with little ones.:) I am so excited to try this! Great tip!:)

Lesley said...

Whaaaa?
That's freakin awesome! I have the grossest windows in my bathroom. They are so dirty right now and I even considered hiring someone to come over and clean them this year because they are so high up that I'd probably plummet to my death trying to clean them. I'm going to try getting up on a ladder, spraying them with this combo and then hosing them off a few hours later. Just know I consider this exercise and I'm blaming you if I exercise for nothing....so it'd better work!

Mindy said...

Yep, pinning and doing.
I'm a little anal about my windows - especially the west facing ones. They're in the living and dining rooms and I can't STAND it when they're dirty. Although, going outside in the rain to clean them is not really my idea of a good time. This spraying and rinsing thing is my kind of window washing. I'm all over it.

Macey said...

We've been using that for shower cleaner! It's awesome! And it doesn't stink too bad.

Allan said...

Wow! cool tips. I'm sure everyone will use this technique as it's an easy steps as well.

cleaning islington

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great tips

Cleaning Services

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...