Monday, April 23, 2012

Lentil Spinach Stew

The temperatures have dipped back down here and I can't get warm.  I think we were spoiled with the warm winter and my body just isn't used to being cold now.  Whatever the reason, I really needed a nice warm stew for supper.


Here's how it went:

The usual start:  olive oil, onions.  Added bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.

Added a bit of vegetable stock and garlic.  Simmered until onions were soft.

Added 4 cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup red lentils.

One large carrot, shredded (with my new mandoline - yay) and a can of diced tomatoes with juice.

Lots of baby spinach and  2/3 cup quinoa plus a good pinch of dried chillies.

I left that on the stove on a simmer while the hockey game played out.  You could up the flame a bit and it would be done in about 45 minutes.  As long as the lentils and quinoa are soft, you're good.

This was warm and delicious and comforting with just a warmed piece of na'an on the side on Saturday night (notice the mouse nibble in the corner of the na'an).


Just as good was breakfast the next morning.  I made a poached egg and served it on a layer of the stew, all on a bed of kale.  Oh wow, this was amazing.



Who likes a good runny egg yolk? Or are you a hard middle fan instead?

This is where I'm partying:
Happy Hour Friday (Happy Hour Projects)
Shine on Fridays (One Artsy Mama)
Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home)

8 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I've never used quinoa. The stew looks good...it turned cold here too! I want a mandolin...what brand did you get? I'm an over medium girl.

Carol-Anne said...

OH MY GOD! When I saw today's recipe, I yelled for my husband because I just said last night that I'm currently addicted to lentils and spinach (which I've been making in various forms several times per week lately!) and that I thought that somehow I wanted to have eggs with it!

I'm not just saying this....I am going to make this recipe! Tonight!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I can't get warm either! Both meals look delicious and I never thought of having kale with eggs. I'm a runny yoke girl! ~ Maureen

Adrianne Surian said...

The weather is the same here. Boo. Your stew looks so yummy! I keep wondering how something like this might survive canning? Because making a whole batch of stew won't get eaten... though if I had it on-had for a chilly day?? Hm....

Thanks for sharing, Terry! :)

Unknown said...

Your stew looks good! But your breakfast looks amazing!! Ok now I'm hungry:). Maybe we will be having poached eggs for lunch.

Macey said...

Hard middle! :)

Mindy said...

I don't do eggs period, but The Dad likes 'em runny and would be all over that for breakfast.
I think it sounds deeeelicious - minus the egg - and this just may be what we have for dinner tomorrow night. I just need the spinach.

Anonymous said...

Can I put my order in for this?! I usually ready to eat breaky at 7ish. My tummy would be happy. Please and thanks of course!!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...