Monday, April 9, 2012

Braised Lamb Chops aka A Little Bit of Heaven

I can go many days without eating meat and not miss it a bit.  I love vegetables and cheese and eggs and grains and fruits,..you get the picture.  I am an eating machine and I love all food.  But meat, meh, it's not that big of a deal to me.


Having said that, these braised lamb chops were the bombe.  The most fabulous thing I have tasted in a very long time.  And they were super easy to make.  Here's how I did them:

Start by preheating your oven to 300.

Grab a skillet that you can use on the stovetop and in the oven (or make sure to have a casserole dish on hand for the oven steps).  Start with a pat of butter and a quick drizzle (tablespoon?) of olive oil, then add in a chopped up onion, dried rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper.  Let it all go for a few minutes.



Next, pat the lamb chops dry and season them with salt and pepper.



Add your chops to your skillet.  Throw in a bunch of cracked garlic and flip chops over when the first side has browned.


When you flip the chops over, add some diced tomatoes and red wine (you could sub beef broth), enough to come up nearly to the top of the chops.  Slip in thin slices of lemons (make sure to pick out the seeds so you don't bite into one of those later).


Slide the skillet into the 300-degree oven (or transfer to a casserole dish) and let it cook for a couple of hours.  I ended up waiting 2 hours (the smell is intoxicating and it is oh so difficult to stay away from it) before diving in but it could have been even better with another hour.  Be sure to keep checking every half hour to make sure that there is enough liquid.  If you need more liquid you could add broth, wine or water.



That's all there is to it.  The waiting and smelling but not eating is definitely the most difficult part of it all, lol.  We had this with the sauce scooped over mashed potatoes and a side of asparagus.

Absolute heaven.  You could easily do this with a beef cut as well if you're not a lamb fan.  Please invite me over when you try it. (I'll bring wine.)

6 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

This looks terrific. We love lamb chops and we eat them often.....unfortunately my hubby can't eat tomatoes. But this looks like it would have been great!

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic!! A perfect Sunday lunch! I think we will have to give it a go but with beef instead of lamb. Lamb is one of the few things I can't get my kiddos to be okay with.:) My mouth is totally watering. They really need to invent smell-o-computer!

Adrianne Surian said...

I have actually never tried lamb, so this looks really interesting. But as kitchen-fail-prone as I am - I am getting good at the searing-on-the-stove and transferring-to-the-oven method. We make pork steaks that way in my big cast iron skillet when the weather is too crummy to grill. So I think I could handle this! :)

Thanks for sharing, Terry!

Macey said...

I would mess it up. I just know it.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh Terry, I do the exact same thing, only with beef short ribs. You're right, it is awesome!! Your photo's were great! The only thing wrong with this whole post is that I was not invited to come and help you eat it!!

Mindy said...

I've got some beef ribs in the freezer - I may just have to add this to the menu!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...