Tuesday, April 10, 2012

House Tips Series - Febreeze Knock-off

Are you getting tired of my sprays and potions yet?  I hope not because I've got one more for you.  It works great and saves money:  two of my favourite things.  :)

At our house, we have 3 cats and 2 dogs, so I'm always afraid that our house smells like,..uh,..pets.  To try to combat that, I was always spraying Febreeze around.  Now, I'm always spraying my homemade version around.

The recipe can be found at Homemade Mamas and it works great.  I should mention that when you choose a fabric softener, it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive it is, but make sure you love the scent because that is what your knock-off Febreeze (and therefore your home) are going to smell like.  The one I am using right now is Snuggle's white lavender and sandalwood.



I had this in an empty spray bottle but I kept grabbing it to clean the windows (which really didn't clean them but made them smell great), so I switched to using an empty Febreeze bottle.  Problem solved.

***

I thought you might also like to know about tips that I tried that did not work so you don't have to go through the process for nothing.  Here is one that didn't work for me:

Source

Every time I took a swipe at the cobwebs at ceiling level, the elastic would bunch and the rag would pucker up, becoming pretty much useless.  No matter how carefully I tried to move the broom, the rag did not stay on the broom.

**FAIL**

8 comments:

Adrianne Surian said...

I am definitely not tired of these! I can't find the Febreeze scent that I like anymore. I don't like how regular Febreeze smells, but I do happen to *love* my fabric softener!

I also love that you shared something that didn't work. Call me a skeptic, but so often I see a photo and think... yeah, that's a gorgeous still shot, but does that really work?

Happy Tuesday to you, Terry!

Unknown said...

I second Adrianne! I love your sprays and potions! I am so excited for this one! Your afraid your house smells like pets, I'm afraid mine smells like kids and pre-teen boys. Ha,ha not good! I can't wait to try this one out.
I like the fail too. My mom used to wipe down cobwebs with a towel on a broom but she always used one long enough she could pin it in place.

Kara Renee said...

Ah, I love this idea! And Snuggle is probably the greatest scent ever, so I give this double love!

Tina said...

I will have to make some and give it to my son.......he is a fabreeze addict!

My mother uses the towel on a broom for cobwebs also, has been doing it for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately I have never paid attention to how she attaches it!! I will have to pay attention the next time!

Mindy said...

Yep, I'm stealing this one too. We used your last concoction to clean woodwork and the oven last week. :o)

Kia said...

iI have cat house smell so i appreciate tips. Just found your blog. Very nice. Love the title. I have a cat called Kaliko because of a childhood poem (and she is black and white, the K's match my other cats.) 'The gigham dog and the calico cat, side by side on the table sat.' Unfortunately they end up tearing each other to shreds at night when the toys wake up and there is only material scraps left in the morning. :)

Macey said...

I LOVE these tips!

Unknown said...

Glad you linked up this week.:) Hope you are having a much more routine week.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...