Sunday, December 4, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Sausage Pumpkin Soup

Kind of a weird combo isn't it.  I wasn't entirely sure about uniting sausage and pumpkin, and then a certain somebody made disparaging remarks when he saw the soup which left me REALLY unsure.  In the end though, it was a winner. And easy too.

f/5.3, 1/60, 1600ISO


I started by slipping 3 sausages out of their skins and then breaking them up while browning them.  I used Country Sausage but you could use whatever you like.  I don't even know what makes country sausage, country.  Add an onion and garlic (of course) and cook until soft.

f/3.8, 1/800, 1600ISO

Add about 4 cups of chicken stock, 1 can of pureed pumpkin (not pie filling, though really that would probably taste okay too), poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper.

f/3.8, 1/400, 1600ISO

Let it all go for about 30 minutes on a simmer.  Then add 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk or water (or any combination that makes 1 cup) plus 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.  Let it simmer until the cream/milk/water is warmed through.

f/4.5, 1/40, 1600ISO

That's it.  I served it with some extra Parmesan and a drizzle of oil on top and freshy cracked pepper.  Next time I would throw in a handful or two of black beans to really make it awesome.

This is where I'm partying:

3 comments:

Macey said...

Yeah, that was my first thought... a strange combo! But ya never know. :)

Unknown said...

Interesting, I LOVE pumpkin but would have never thought of putting it with sausage. I will have to try this one night when JP and I have an at home date night. I am not sure I could talk the kiddos into it.:)

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Okay, I'll take your word for it because it looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it, sounds easy enough even for me!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...