Thursday, March 10, 2011

Make Your Own Decor Box



I love making something from nothing.  Paper crafts seem to be one of the easiest ways to do this.  One second you have a piece of paper and the next you have a flower or a leaf or a box.

Tiffany from Do-it-yourself-gifts shows how to make the box here.



Making the box itself was super easy.  Tiffany gives step-by-step photos that make this nearly foolproof except I used a fancy paper that had a pattern around the edges which were then lost inside of the box.

Fancy paper INSIDE the box where nobody can see it.

If you want to use a printed paper, make sure the pattern is in the centre area or all over the paper so that you can see it after, instead of having a gorgeous interior and a really plain exterior.

BORING!


Now obviously, due to my miscalculation, this box is in dire need of embellishments.  Earlier in the week I had started rolling up book page rosettes in the hopes that  I would make enough rosettes to eventually create a wreath (love those book page wreaths).


I don't know if I'm a slow roller or what, but these little guys are taking me forever and I don't know that I will ever have enough for a gorgeous wreath.  However, right now I have the perfect amount to prettify the top of this plain box.



I made the rosettes using Stephanie Lynn's tutorial from here and used the glue gun to fix them on.  They are pretty easy to do, just time consuming.  Or maybe that's just me?  The leaves were just cut freehand out of book pages as well and glued on.

I'm linking up here:

Somewhat Simple SYS Blog Link Party
Feature Yourself at Fingerprints on the Fridge
Flaunt it Friday - Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday - The Shabby Nest
Frugalicious Friday - Finding Fabulous
Weekend Bloggy Reading - Serenity Now
Sundae Scoop Link Up Craft Blog
Link Friday - Spunky Junky
More the Merrier - DIY Home Sweet Home Project
The Sunday Showcase Party - Under The Table and Dreaming
Tuesday Timeout Link Up Party - Reasons to Skip the Housework
Wow Us Wednesdays - Savvy Southern Style
Hookin Up With HoH -- House of Hepworths
Whatcha Got Weekend - Lollyjane Boutique

21 comments:

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

The box looks fantastic- you'll be very popular around the holidays! I also like the way you've styled the top photo!

Little City Farm said...

Thanks Yvonne. I guess I'll have a lot of time to practice my technique before then.

Lyssa Beth said...

I love those roses! So cute.
Thanks for stopping by born-again crafter! The wreath is very simple! It takes hmmm about an hour, maybe less? I did it while my girls drew pictures on the floor. You can do it!

Little City Farm said...

Thanks Lyssa. You have inspired and motivated me - I'm going to do the wreath. Besides I have already cracked into the book to do the rosettes and it would be a shame to waste it.

Becky and the Beanstock said...

Wow, those rosettes are really pretty! And together with the box they make a really lovely something-from-nothing.

Little City Farm said...

Thanks Becky. The frugal side of me really relishes that sort of thing, lol.

Brandy J. said...

I'm new to your blog and love it! This little box is super sweet and the name of your blog is just too cute! Thanks for sharing!!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a fabulous box. I'm a new follower. Hope to see you at DIY Home Sweet Home on Monday for More The Merrier Mondays Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Very cute.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Really pretty!

Visiting from Serenity Now!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I liked seeing the progression of how you put this together, Terry. :) The rosettes on top are a perfect addition! I even love the tiny book page leaves. :)

Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Have fun finding a new blog friend or two, and I hop you'll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

You did her tutorial justice! Your flowers are beautiful! Making something out of nothing is the BEST!


Kendra aka "Domestic Princess in Training"

Little City Farm said...

You gals are oh so sweet. Thanks for all your kind notes. :)

Screaming Sardine said...

I love your rolled flowers. They are so pretty. They definitely perk up the box.

Cheers,
Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Saw these boxes at Finding Fabulous and I'd love it if you'd link up at my new Tuesday Time Out link party!

http://reasonstoskipthehousework.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-time-out-link-up-party.html

Smiles,
Melanie
http://reasonstoskipthehousework.blogspot.com

Little City Farm said...

Melanie, thanks for thinking of me. I'm on my way, lol.

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Looks great!! I love it with the flowers! Visiting from Time Out Tuesday over at Reasons to Skip Housework and I am a new follower!
Have a great day!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Ginna said...

Super Cute!

www.juiceboxdreams.com

Ashley said...

So stylish! This would be so great for gift giving too!

c.w.frosting said...

Pretty! Great idea for using book pages!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

Sylvia N. said...

Yep, went on a binge a while back making boxes.....origami boxes and scored boxes using Martha Stewart Score Board.....love my paper stash!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...