Sunday, December 18, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Broccoli and Stilton

f/7.1, 1/50, 1600ISO
This soup came to life by foraging around in the fridge to see what was lurking in there.  There was swiss chard that was well on its way to wilty, almost-starting-to-yellow-broccoli and blue cheese that was so old I had to google whether a mouldy cheese could, well, go mouldy.  So that's where I started.

Well, really I started with the onion, as always.  It was getting a little dry so my plan was to add a bit of Riesling but all we had was this pineapple citrus wine cooler so that's what I used instead, lol.  I didn't notice any weird taste so it must have blended in just fine.  If you don't have the wine, a bit of water would be fine.

f/5.6, 1/320, 1600ISO

I threw in some dried chillies and broccoli and let that go for a bit.

f/5, 1/320, 1600ISO

I chopped the swiss chard and threw that in then poured in about 4 cups of chicken stock.

f/5, 1/320, 1600ISO

I'm not sure how long I let this simmer.  I got distracted doing other things, but it was more than 30 minute and less than 60 minutes.  I think.  :)

Anyway, then I pureed it with an immersion blender and added in the cheese.  I didn't have enough of the mouldy blue cheese so I also threw in some feta and loads of black pepper.

f/5.6, 1/25, 1600ISO

I didn't even add any cream until I was working on the presentation.  At that point I tried to drizzle it around but it was too heavy and disappeared right into the soup.  I lightened up a bit and just put drops around the soup to make it pretty.  If this weren't a blog soup, I wouldn't have bothered with the cream at all.  The soup didn't need it for flavour.

f/4, 1/100, 1600ISO

I really liked this one and embarrassingly finished the entire pot myself.  Yep, a proud moment to be sure.

4 comments:

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

One of my favourite soups. I think I would probably eat it all myself, too! BTW, I have an immersion blender and it's one of the best kitchen things I own and actually use.

Macey said...

That sounds so good! I love broccoli soup!

Unknown said...

Yummy! You always make your soups look so pretty! I think I could eat an entire pot as well.:)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Thanks for another delicious recipe Terry. I need to start making some of these.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...