Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Soup - Mushroom Barley (in the crockpot)



You are so seriously going to love me with this easy and super tasty crockpot soup recipe.  I made this for my mom and Gary and they both loved it.  Next time, I might make it with a bit more broth, but that's just a personal taste thing.  The flavour was awesome.

I got the recipe from Planet Green and pretty much followed it exactly.  I used reduced sodium soy sauce and was afraid to do it.  I thought this might be a bit too much but it turned out fabulous.

I started with dried shitake mushrooms and added boiling water, let it sit for 30 minutes.


In a pan, a bit of oil, button mushrooms (you could use whatever you have on hand), and onions.


Throw that into the crockpot, along with the rest of the ingredients and forget about.  You can either cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.  I usually cook on low (because I'm gone all day), but this time did it on high and it was great.



The finished product (served with cheese and green onion quesadillas) was company-worthy.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

As with the seafood soup, I'm not a mushroom girl. Like shrimp, I wish I liked them and I try. I really do. I just can't change my mouth's mind. BUT, my sister's family would be all over this. She just made a mushroom pasta the other night that sounded amazing. I'll forward this on to her. :o)

Unknown said...

We LOVE mushrooms at our house1 The crockpot is a favorite kitchen tool. We will be for sure be making this one soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Easy works for me. Looks delicious.

Tara said...

This sounds divine! I can't find the recipe on the site, could you possibly post your version? I would love to make this for the hubby and I :D

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...