Monday, October 17, 2011

Fabric Wine Bag

You know that moment of terror when you realize that you have to leave for a party in less than an hour and you forgot to get a bag for the hostess wine and you live in the country so it'll take you at least that long to run out and buy a wine bag and you still have to do your hair?  No?  Hmmmm.

Okay, well let's just pretend that you do.  And let's pretend that your mom just gave you this huge bolt of fabric that she was going to make drapes with but never did and then she changed her entire decor so that the colour no longer worked.  Okay?  Everyone caught up in the pretending story?  Good.

So now we're going to whip up our own wine gift bag, even though we don't really think we know how to sew.  Because we're stupid brave like that.  Here we go:

Start with this great fabric.


Cut a rectangle, 14 inches x 20 inches.  If you have a pattern on your fabric, like the flowers on this one, make sure to cut it so that the pattern will look the best when the bottle has been inserted (like right side up for instance, lol).

The original pattern I had used said to cut 12" x 16" but it ended up being way too small.  When I made the second one (yes, I did two), I cut out the fabric to 16" x 20" and it was too big.  This is the little red riding hood perfect size, not too big, not too little, just right.

I ironed the fabric and then pressed each edge in 1/4-inch, wrong-side facing up.  Then I went around and turned each edge in another 1/4-inch to make sure the material didn't fray.


I sewed the top edge with two lines of stitching because I thought it looked prettier that way.


Now fold the material in half, right sides together and pin all the way around the two long sides and the bottom. Sew along all three sides and then turn right side out.


Notice in this photo above how crooked I must have cut that bottom line of fabric.  No worries.  I unfolded the bottom seams, trimmed the fabric so that it was straight (or probably just straighter, cutting isn't one of my strengths), then redid the seam fold.  Now I was ready to sew all three sides and did that.

Turn the fabric so that the right side of the fabric is facing out and iron.


That's all there is to it.  Pop in your bottle of wine, add a ribbon and curl your hair.


This is where I'm partying:

12 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh my gosh, I was just sitting here googling how to make a wine gift bag!! Thank you! I'm doing a craft show in December and thought they would be perfect to sell. Have a great week, Terry! Oh, and I've calmed down now! Lol!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

It looks great, Terry... Presentation is everything, right! I hope there isn't a pretend bottle of wine in there!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

You can just delete one of those comments, Terry. Obviously I shouldn't try to blow dry my hair and type on my iPad at the same time before vie had a cup of coffee!

Adrianne Surian said...

I have to agree with Yvonne, pretend story = no problem. Pretend wine = sad.

I think when I see things like this, it's not only the presentation but it also shows that thought and work went into the gift - which just multiplies the warm fuzzies involved in receiving something thoughtful.

And seriously, why is it so hard to cut a straight line?? I am glad I'm not the only one who can goof on the simplest of things. :)

Unknown said...

What pretty fabric! Great bag. I often have to make two of projects. I have just starting calling the first one a practice one and if it works out it is a happy surprise! I really like this because you could put tons of stuff in it. Like a loaf of homemade pumpkin bread or something. For those that don't drink. :)

Macey said...

How CUUUUUUTE!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Good job Terry. I always hate walking in somewhere toting a bottle of wine. This is the perfect way to dress it up.

Mindy said...

I'll take three. Full ones of course. :o)

Simply Tasheena said...

Great idea! Perfect for the holidays.

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love it! You supply the bag.... Ill supply the wine. we will go to mindy's. (when she's not prego of course)

Babs said...

Great idea with the holidays coming up. It's nice for you to figure out all the details in how to make the bags. I probably would have given up after the first one. Thanks for the tutorial.
Have a great weekend.

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for the instructions on making a wine bag. Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday. I always appreciate your participation!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...