Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Acorn Squash Rings

Sometimes  you get a new recipe that looks really good or it tastes really good.  This one does both.

F/2.8,  1/320,  200 ISO
I started by slicing the acorn squash in half, removing the seeds, and then slicing each half into rings, approximately 1/2-inch thick.

I laid these out on a greased tin-foil-covered cookie-sheet and topped with some cooking spray (butter would be even better, but we're dieting around here), brown sugar and fresh nutmeg.  Have you ever seen fresh nutmeg?  If not, this is what it looks like:

f/2.8,  1/80,  200 ISO

How cute is that?!!!

I popped them into a 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes. Then I flipped them over and put some spray, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon on that side, and then cooked for another 5-10 minutes until tender (yours make take more or less time depending on how thick you cut the rings).

f/2.8,  1/50,  200 ISO

We are definitely making these again.  I am going to play with cutting these rings in half for easier eating.  Great flavour and company presentation.

10 comments:

Macey said...

We just got the BIGGEST acorn squash ever and I'm totally doing this to them!

Unknown said...

Yum! This is making my mouth water! I am going to have to get a squash! JP is just going to have to deal with it. :) He is not a squash lover. I think I am going to have to add this to my Thanksgiving table. Great Bokeh BTW!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

We had acorn squash for dinner last night! I do mine a little different. I cut them in half and then steam them in the oven for about an hour. Then I add the butter and brown sugar and eat it out of the "bowl". I like your way so much better and going to try it that way with the other squash in the refrigerator!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You can add this as one of my dessert choices. How big is my menu getting now? lol

Mindy said...

I LOVE acorn squash!!! I've done it this way too, as opposed to just halves, 'cause it's easier to eat. I even tried selling it as "flowers" to get the kids to eat it, but they're still not on board. Weirdos. I have fresh nutmeg in the cupboard too. I feel fancy every time I use it. :o)

Adrianne Surian said...

OK, really dumb question... do you eat the skin, or eat around it? I have only ever removed squash from the skin to mash it up before. (My daughter is a HUGE squash fan, so that's how I do it.)

This looks *really* impressive, though - I think I have found my dish-to-pass at my mother's for Thanksgiving. :) Thanks for sharing, Terry!!

Becky and the Beanstock said...

This just screams autumn! Did I send you that nutmeg, by the way?

Adrianne asked if you ate the rings or not - I'm curious to know too. I know that you CAN and I've seen people do it, but I'm not sure I like skin-on. I guess it all depends on how well-roasted it is and how thick the skin is to begin with.

Ispirato Design said...

Seriously making these asap as well as the mushroom barley soup a couple of posts back! I have to say, your photos are getting better and better. They could be in an expensive gourmet cookbook!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

As I finished your post about aperture I scrolled down a bit further and happened upon these squash rings. They look divine. Now I have to go back and read the aperture post again because it still hasn't sunk in. Thanks for putting your camera settings on your pictures. That is brilliant and so helpful. Please go take some pictures that aren't close ups so I can see the settings. :o)

Shani @ inspirednest.ca said...

YUMMY! The pictures are making me very hungry. I love squash even more than sweet potatoes:-)

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...