Sunday, October 30, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Minestrone

This has to be one of the most forgiving, easiest, best-tasting soups we eat around here.  It kind of feels like a 'kitchen sink' soup.


I start with a bit of oil and onion.


Add in some dried chillies (you can skip this if you aren't a fan of heat) and oregano.


Add some type of broth or stock.  I usually use vegetable but chicken would also be good.


Dump in a can of diced tomatoes.


Throw in some kind greens - spinach, chard, kale, whatever.  This is chard from the garden (the last of it, sniff).


Add a can of black beans (or whatever kind of beans you prefer).  I drain and rinse mine to reduce the salt and keep the broth from getting too cloudy.  Of course you can do what you like.


Throw in two handfuls (2/3 cup approximately) of pasta.  I like the di pepe which are really tiny little dots of pasta.  So cute.


I let all of this simmer, stirring occasionally and getting right to the bottom because those little pasta tend to stick if you don't.  After about an hour, the flavours have melded beautifully.  If you can't wait an hour, just cook until the pasta is done and it will still taste great.  



Considering this is a Sunday football soup, I am tempted to say "Go Steelers", but then I also have to say,... Go Ravens for Amy, Chiefs for Terri, Colts for Kadie, and Cowboys for JoePaul.  Hey, maybe I should be making up a ProLine ticket.  Hmmmmmm.  

6 comments:

Carmella said...

yummmm...can I come for lunch? This looks so great!

Unknown said...

Go whoever! The soup looks devine!! Yum.

Unknown said...

Minestrone is one of my very favorite soups! I will have to look for the little specks of pasta they are cute and I bet they go great!

Thanks for the double shout out. Good luck Steelers! Big game today. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE minestrone soup! I haven't made it in ages- bookmarking your recipe to try.

Kei said...

Ooh I could easily gobble up a bowl of that soup right now! Looks delicious!

Macey said...

I've actually never had minestrone. Weird, huh?

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...