Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spanish Rice

I don't think this is the proper official recipe for Spanish Rice, but this is what my mom made for us growing up.



Start by browning about 1 pound of ground beef.  Drain away the fat.

Add 2 chopped peppers; whatever colour you like.  Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.


On the side, cook up 1 cup of dry white rice.  You could also use Minute Rice for this step (which is what my mom used to do), but I prefer the taste of the white rice from scratch.  If you have tomato juice in the house, you can use the juice in place of some of the water to add extra flavour.


Back to the beef and peppers -- add one can of diced tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.  Sprinkle in some dried oregano, salt and pepper and add in the rice when it is ready.


Stir it all up and cook until any excess liquid has been absorbed.

And that's it.  How easy was that?  You could sub in all kinds of things: ground chicken or turkey, green or yellow peppers, brown rice, different herbs.  We had this with a side of braised broccoli.


This is where I'm partying:

11 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I love the idea of ground beef in the Spanish rice! I think that's just what mine has been missing all these years!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Oh does this recipe bring back memories! It must have been on the back of a Campbell's soup can or the box of Minute Rice, because my mom used to make something similar for us when we were kids. For a family who ate meat and potatoes every night, we thought mom was being really fancy! She used a can of tomato soup with the canned tomatoes. I should make this tonight for my two meat-eating kids and see what they think!

Unknown said...

I have never thought to put meat in my Spanish rice. I always just use it as a side dish. I am going to have to try this! Looks YUMMY!

Tina´s PicStory said...

very delicious :)

Adrianne Surian said...

That is exactly the stuffing of my stuffed pepper recipe that I got from my aunt, and it's SO good! Sadly, I'm the only one in my house who likes peppers, so I hardly ever make it. :(

But if you want to serve it in a pepper, just clean, stuff and bake for another 30 minutes. It makes 4.

Becky and the Beanstock said...

Aw, there's no such thing as a "proper recipe". They're all blank slates! :)

Unknown said...

Looks delish!

Míriam Luiza said...

É um prato apetitoso, saboroso e nutritivo! Amei a idéia!

Míriam Luiza said...

É um prato apetitoso, saboroso e nutritivo! Amei a idéia!

Anonymous said...

Soo.... when do you want to come cook supper over at my house... I'd pay...

Anonymous said...

And supply the wine.... of course...!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...