Sunday, October 9, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Fish Chowder

At our house, we cannot eat chowder without calling it "Chow-da" with a Bostonian accent.  It comes from a Simpson's episode.  Try not to judge.

We had shrimp pasta the night before so I kept the shrimp shells to make an easy breezy fish stock.


 I covered the shells with water and added a bay leaf.  You could do a thousand things to make the stock taste better:  celery and celery leaves, peppercorns, carrots, other fish pieces, whatever. At our house, Monday is grocery day, so a bay leaf was all I had to add.  :(


Set your pot to simmer, let it go for about 2 hours, and now you have a stock for your soup.  Obviously, you could use veggie or chicken stock if you didn't have the time or inclination to make the shrimp stock.

Start by sauteeing onions with a bit of oil and dried chilies.



Deglaze the plan with some wine.  I used a white (Riesling).


Shred some carrots.


Add carrots and corn (frozen, fresh, off the cob, whatever you have).


Add the fish and stock and let simmer.


After about 30-60 minutes (depends entirely on how much the smell is making you crazy to eat it), check and adjust your seasonings.  Add a chopped tomato (preferably from your garden).


Finally, throw in 1-2 tablespoons of butter plus 1/4 cup of cream.  Simmer (without boiling) for about 15 minutes, and that will do the trick.  I like to spoon out bowls with a big hunk of buttered bread on the side.  But hey, that's just me.  Enjoy.

For my friend Terri, I just want to say,...Go Chiefs,...and hope they can win a second game this weekend.  :)

5 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Awww...thanks, Terry! The good thing about watching the Chiefs every Sunday is me sitting there imagining I'm eating your soup!

Unknown said...

Oh this looks so good! I always just throw my shrimp shells away. I am going to have to save them next time.
Thanks for sharing!! We say chow-da too!!

Mindy said...

Yeah, I can appreciate it for sure, but there's no way I'd eat it. LOL
I need to make this for The Dad and the kids - they'd devour it.

Anonymous said...

i love chowder... my brother in law used to make us the best huge pot... i've never attempted it on my own. looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

i love chowder... my brother in law used to make us the best huge pot... i've never attempted it on my own. looks yummy!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...