Sunday, October 2, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Sausage Kale Soup

 When fall finally shows its face and brings football with it, we start our Sunday soup tradition.  At some point, around early afternoon, I make a pot of soup and then let it simmer all afternoon.  We just make our way there whenever we feel like it and enjoy a hot bowl in front of the TV.


This week was one of the best soups I have ever eaten.  It was modeled after this recipe from The Saturday Evening Pot, but when it comes to soup recipes, I don't usually come all that close to the original.

Here are the changes that I made:
I did it on top of the stove instead of in the crock pot.
I used lovely speckled beans instead of white.
I used fresh-from-the-garden yellow tomatoes instead of canned red.
I added fresh sage, dried chillies and quite possibly a caterpillar or two that were clinging to the kale from our garden. I can't be sure and I don't necessarily recommend you doing this, though I suppose it will bump up the protein in your serving.


The next day I went out and bought more sausage to make sure that I had it on hand for the next time the mood strikes for this soup.  It was seriously good.  Happy footballing.

5 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh my gosh, I would love a bowl of this soup while we watch the Chiefs lose today!

Mindy said...

I just so happened to marry a man who LOVES soup. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd be getting him a subscription to the soup of the month club every year. :o)
The Kid loves soup too - split pea is his all-time favorite meal.
I've got a ham bone in the freezer - guess it's about time to bust out the beans!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

My husband thoroughly enjoys a good bowl of soup. I find myself making it on Sundays too. It makes for an easy dinner about Tuesday! This looks wonderful. Right now we're into baseball On Sutton Place. Our beloved Detroit Tigers are in the hunt!

Unknown said...

Yummy! We love soup and football on Sunday too! Kale is a hard sale around here.... maybe we should try again with this one!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

A great big bowl of your soup would be wonderful after the chilly night we had here in the midwest. Your food post pics are getting more and more delicious.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...