Monday, September 26, 2011

Crocheted Market Bag

Kadie over at Seven Alive made this awesome market bag a few weeks ago.  The pattern was free, found on the Lion Brand yarn site, and apparently labelled EASY so I was all over copying her.  Hers turned out great.

Mine?  Not so much.

Here is my first attempt at it.  Notice how skinny the handle is? It's not supposed to be like that.


It's supposed to look like this:


Yeah!  It's okay.  You can laugh without feeling guilty.  I'm STILL laughing at the comparison.

I wish I could say that this was the only part of the bag that I messed up, but it wasn't.  Notice in the photo below how wonky the right side is from the left?  I was adding stitches when I should have been reducing stitches (or something like that).


So,...I emailed Kadie and she helped me to figure out where I went wrong (oh so many places, lol) and I gave it another shot.

It's still a little wonky but if I move at a brisk pace with this baby on my arm, nobody will even notice.


In this shot, you can tell that the sides aren't quite even, but sooooo much better than that first attempt.  Don't you agree?


I haven't actually used the market bag yet, so in the meantime it is decorating the kitchen.


And now an artsy black and white shot.  :)  (Yes, I was playing with the camera today, lol)


I'm going to move onto slippers next I think.  It'll be chilly enough for them before you know it.

This is where I'm partying:

Make it Great Monday (Etcetorize)Inspiration Board (Carolyn's Homework)Ta-Da Tuesday (Mommy by Day Crafter by Night)Wow Me Wednesday (Gingersnap Crafts)Fall Into Fall Its a Party (DIY by Design)Tip Toe Thru Thursday (Crayon Freckles)It's a Party (A Creative Princess)Stuff That Rocks (Madamyt)Thrifty Thursday (Thrifty and Fabulous)Hookin Up With Hepworths (House of Hepworths)Super Sweet Thursday Par-tay (Fabulously Flawed)Freestyle Friday (Happy Hour Projects)Potpourri Party (2805)Weekend Wander (While He Was Napping)

18 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I don't care what you say, I'm still impressed! Carry it proudly!

Amy Bateman said...

Great job! I love that pattern and have made a couple bags. My daughter told me just the base looked like a rug. Now I know what to do if I ever get the urge to crochet a rug.

Unknown said...

You crack me up!! That first photo still makes me laugh. :) It looks much better now. I don't think you need to walk at a quick pace, just load more stuff in one side than the other. lol For a first try at something bigger than face cloths you did fantastic!

Etcetorize said...

I think it turned out great in the end. I bet it can hold loads of stuff! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize~

Macey said...

I heart bags. All kinds of bags... :) That is CUTE!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your bag has lots of personality, just like you. Seriously, I think it looks great. I wouldn't even know where to start with something like this. That's why I paint and tear furniture apart.

Ispirato Design said...

You are so funny! I am in awe at how many projects you take on- crochet, really? Like all your projects, it looks great. You are your own worse critic :)

Stephanie said...

Even though it doesn't look just like the example it's SUPER CUTE!! I'm totally impressed!! I am hoooorible at following crocheting directions. You did a great job!

Jenny said...

I like the bag! Good luck with the slippers. My first attempt at slippers didn't work out well, they were way too loose. But it helps me to work through something and then looking back I can see what I need to do differently to make it better next time.

Debbie said...

cute, functional & free....i love it!!

Anonymous said...

that bag is great... i wish i was a little bit crafty like this! i couldn't crochet if i tried. well maybe if i actually tried...

Andie Jaye said...

even if it's not exactly like the pattern, once you put things in there, no one will know the difference! i think it looks cute! thanks for linking up last week to my tip-toe thru tuesday party!

Honey at 2805 said...

Congrats on your french market bag. Who cares if it isn't quite equal on each side, the stretch out of shape anyway. Besides, it sure looks good hanging on that chair!

Thanks so much for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appareciate your participation!

SillySimple said...

I think your bag looks great!

Anonymous said...

Kudos for giving it a go! I think it turned out great! Thanks so much for linking this up to Thrifty Thursday :)

Anonymous said...

I think it turned out super cute! The first attempt looks like what mine would too! It makes me want to make one! So fun! Thanks so much for participating in the Stache Party this month! I hope you'll come back next month, too!
Steph
mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I featured this at the Stache Party. Feel free to grab a featured button! http://mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com/2011/10/this-is-what-i-made-with-my-stache-last.html

ullash said...

Ohhh...these would be fun to make for my sisters (and me)!!! Thanks for sharing!
camouflage backpack
camouflage duffel bag
camouflage flask
camouflage knives
camouflage tote bag

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...