Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Photo Tips #1

As you know, I'm trying to wrap my head around the complexity that is this new camera.  I've ventured outside of the auto mode, but I don't really know what I'm doing yet.  I fiddled around and now, I am doing what we all should do but don't want to do.  I'm going through the manual.  I know.  Yuck.

The first thing I did was go to the page I NEVER go to; the page I sneer at as I page through -- the camera body with all those arrows and the explanations for what everything is.  Normally I can't be bothered, but there were more than a couple of buttons that I couldn't figure out.


For example, #4 - exposure compensation button.  Not only could I not guess based on the picture what that button might do, but even after reading the name of it, I couldn't figure it out. lol

I went through each of these buttons and toggles and wheels to make sure I knew where they were and what they did.  For each button that I didn't recognize, I searched the manual to find out what it did. Not in-depth, but just to get an idea.

The manual is a pdf file which made it really easy to search for things -- just ctrl-F, type in the word, and your list of choices awaits you. Really convenient.

Okay, we know where everything is and basically what it does, so now we just have to figure out how to use all of it.  So,....here is what is coming in the next couple of weeks in a mish mashy sort of order (which I guess means there is no order):

the exposure triangle (iso, shutter speed, aperture)
     - I'm thinking of a separate post wtih experimental photos for each
the camera modes (aperture, manual, shutter speed, and whatever that P is for)
     - again separate posts with photos to help explain
the rule of thirds (composition)
how to focus (I find this particularly challenged)
how to shoot in low light (another BIG challenge)
special tips for taking food photographs

These are just some of the ideas that I thought up, but if you have any suggestions on topics that you might find helpful, please feel free to send me a note and I'll do my best to research them.  Here's to fabulous photos from all of us.  Stay tuned,.....



6 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really good!! I never go through that page either. I need to break out my manual again. As I am learning more I am realizing all the things I still don't know. :)

Unknown said...

BTW, I made my light box out of foam board. It works so great. I really love to take the one board outside to put things on for my photos. Such a nice background and no green color cast.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

These tip posts are perfect timing. I got my camera yesterday, opened it up, charged the battery (I actually knew how to do that...) and then ignored it for the rest of the night. Very overwhelming. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to really try it out. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I never even look at the manual!! It's pretty amazing what you learn! Your lucky yours is in PDF. Mine is now gonna be in a folder called terry's camera tips!!!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

For most things I buy, I'd rather be pinched really hard than read the manual. But I think when it comes to (technically) my husband's camera I'm going to have to. Or, I could just learn via YOU- way more fun!

I'm really looking forward to your tips on photographing in low light. I finally got my fireplace mantel decorated for fall; I want to take some pictures tomorrow but I know that the light will be low and I'll end up eating chips out of frustration!

Jenny said...

I'm still learning my camera, too. Looking forward to your tips!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...