Sunday, November 20, 2011

SUNDAY SOUP - Red Lentil Soup

This is one of my absolute favourite soups that was given to me by one of my absolute favourite people. Becky of Becky and the Beanstock has the full recipe on her site, so go check it out.



Guess how the recipe starts?  Yes, that's oil and onion sauteeing there, lol.


I didn't have all of the ingredients, so I made a few changes.  I used a can of diced tomatoes which made my broth, well, redder of course.


I also did not have any beluga lentils (the black ones) so I just omitted them.

Have you ever cooked with bulgur?  I got mine at the bulk food store (Bulk Barn).  Here's what it looks like:


In the final soup, I can't really discern the bulgur but it definitely adds some whole-grain goodness and body to the soup.

I didn't have mint so I garnished with fresh parsley, along with olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice.


This soup makes you feel like you're doing something good for your body.  We often make this when one of us is sick.

3 comments:

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I have never cooked with bulgar. This soup looks incredible and I LOVE the colors. The red and green with the lemon...My daughter went to a sports camp years ago and they told the kids to always make a colorful plate. That color means healthy. I have always remembered that. This is beautiful. Have a good day!

Mindy said...

Well so far, it's soundin' like I may have everything I'd need for this except the bulgar. I always look at it in the store, but have yet to try any. I'd say it's about time darnit!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy, warm and healthy!! I am going to have to give it a try. :)

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...