Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Napkin Ring Tutorial

Okay gals (and guys?), this is my first official tutorial.  Step-by-step and everything.  Hope you're ready.



First I started with 20-gauge wire from a spool.  Make sure to get the kind on a spool so that you don't have to worry about forming the wire into circles.  I cut it at the 2-circle mark but you could do this as long as you like.  Memory wire is also a great choice for this project as it will keep it's shape.

2-loop circle
Thread a crimping bead somewhere close to the middle and crimp it (squish it) with flat-nosed pliers. Does everyone know what a crimping bead is? It's just a hollow metal tube that you are able to crush so that it stays put.  This is helpful to keep separate beads from sliding all over the place and awesome for attaching findings to the end of a piece.  So, thread the crimping bead and crimp it.

Crimping Bead
Next, find a pretty bead (so named to distinguish it from a crimping bead) and thread it on.  Follow with another crimping bead and crimp it.  This will keep the pretty bead from sliding around.

Crimp bead, Pretty bead, Crimp bead
Keep following this pattern (crimp bead, pretty bead, crimp bead), spacing them out any way you like until you have filled that side of the spiral.  Flip the wire over and start to fill the second side.  I did this half and half technique because some of the beads were difficult to move along the spiral (they were too long and straight) so I wanted to only thread them half the distance.

Second bead added

I found that the thinner beads like the two far right in the picture below, were much easier to thread onto the rounded wire.  The other two I saved for the ends so that I wouldn't have to bend the wire too much to get them on.
Different sized beads
The wire sometimes got a little wonky when I was threading the beads.  I just made sure to go back and bend it back into circles again.


At each of the ends I used the round-nosed pliers to create a curl.

Curly Ends
This is with two of the napkin rings on it to give you an idea of what a longer ring would look like.

Two Napkin Rings

I am partying here:



















Somewhat Simple

Sundae Scoop - I Heart Naptime

13 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Great job, Terry! It's so pretty I would wear it as a bracelet!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

An excellent tutorial (great tips), a fabulous idea, and a beautiful napkin ring, Terry! I love napkin rings but usually the ones I really like are too expensive, but I believe I will make my own - thanks!

Unknown said...

Great Job Terry!! I think I could even do this. I love the beads you choose. Great Tutorial.

Mindy said...

Well aren't those just too stinkin' cute!?

Michelle said...

These are really pretty. I may try to make a set.:)

DIYbyDesign said...

That really is beautiful. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

Rivki Locker said...

Just beautiful. I have to get my 12 year old daughters (twins) to follow these instructions and make us some of these. SO pretty.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

They look great. Nice job on your first official tutorial.

Megan @ The Crafty Conundrum said...

Pretty! They look great.

Karima said...

These look fab, never seen a tutorial for these before, well done! Saw you on linky party and now google friend following you. Please pop by and maybe you could follow me too, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Love this idea and tutorial.

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to customize napkin rings! I love the beads. I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to stop by and say thanks so much for joining the Stache Party in August and sharing your creativity with everyone! I hope you'll come back in September!
Stephanie
mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...