Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WOL - Setting Goals

This is definitely the most difficult part of this exercise.  Yesterday was all artsy and colourful, today is stark reality.  I mean, it's one thing to realize where you need to focus some of your attention, but quite another thing to actually do it in a meaningful way.  So here goes.

You'll remember that I was low in career, spirituality, health, and creativity.  So for each of these categories, I am going to start with 2 goals (I'd rather start off small and achieve my goals, than to be disappointed by trying to do too much, or I'm lazy, not sure which).

CAREER:

1.  Go out and snap some photos (with an eye to improving technique) at least one session per week.

2.  Write a novel by June 30, 2013 (final draft).

Source

SPIRITUALITY:

1.  Start a weekly practice of gratitude, recording what has made me thankful during the past week.  This might be good to incorporate into the art journal I am going to start (see the creativity category).

2.  Daily meditation, starting with just 5 minutes a day.

The C.A.M. Report

HEALTH:

1.  Daily yoga, even if it's only 10 minutes.

2.  More water, less tea and wine.  Put some lemons or limes in the water to make it more fun.  Buy a pretty glass pitcher.

Source

CREATIVITY:

1.  Start creating daily morning pages (as per Julia Cameron of The Artist's Way fame).

2.  Create an art journal using Tickled Pink's tutorial as a starting point.

Lynn McCorry
Okay, those are mine out there for the whole world to see.  Who is going to be brave and share their goals here?  Come on, you know you wanna.  :)

9 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

First, I have to say how impressed/shocked I am to say that you're going to write a novel! Wow! Talk about dreaming big! You go, girl!

I've been thinking about this since your post yesterday. Don't think I can comment on what I want to do about Spirituality yet, but I've already started working on health (lost 12 pounds!). The hard one for me is relationships~~too busy working, too hyper-focused on things that I should let go of.....that's what I want to work on. Thanks for making me 'narrow it down'.

Tina Bradley said...

Yay for you--writing a novel!!! This comes as no surprise as I believe I'd read you have won awards for your work in the recent past. Go for it!!!

I would love to hear about your experiences with art journaling--hope you'll share!

Regarding my May goals, well many of them are related to personal growth (reading at least 2 non-fiction's per mo.), carving out time for artist's dates, joining Toastmaster's, etc. Fun, but good-for-me stuff. ;)

Thanks for the inspirations, Terry! T.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

OK....I'll share. But setting some realistic goals is gonna take me a little bit. Here's my first goal......Share my goals by tomorrow morning! (I'm a homework procrastinator.)

Unknown said...

Great goals!! I hope you will let us read some of your book this time.lol
I have been thinking about mine. One of them you and I have talked about in the past. I need to make my self set a date to finish said goal.
In the area of self-care I would really like to be able to find some time to myself everyday. Ideally I would be able to take a small walk, but just a little bit of quite time every day would be wonderful. However I am going to have to enlist some help from JP so I'm not sure I can commit to that goal yet. So....... I'm setting a date and not committing to any goals yet,....... I'm a total slacker!:)

Unknown said...

Great! I wish you all the success in your indeavors! You can do it! Hi Terry, stopped by to visit and say hello! Hugs

Adrianne Surian said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can set multiple goals for multiple categories without overwhelming myself. I think it's good to have a final aim of where you're headed (since that's what goal-setting is, after all), but I might map out one category in full, then just a first step to begin improving the rest I want to work on. Otherwise it's going to be a pretty long list, LOL. I better go have a heart-to-heart with my wheel and see what it has to say!

Heather @ A Cupcake Love Affair said...

I need to read up on this and get started! Just dropped by to let you know that I just nominated you for The Versatile Blogger award. Check it out at http://cupcakeloveaffair.blogspot.com/2012/05/another-award-im-versatile-blogger.html. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Heather
www.cupcakeloveaffair.blogspot.com

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Way to go, writing your own novel!!! I'll commit to two goals... 5 mins of trying to meditate and try to do at least one household chore each day.

Kelsey said...

I'm a little behind on my wheel (finally making it today!) but I will share as soon as I get it finished!

Kelsey
embracingmessy.blogspot.com

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...