Monday, April 4, 2011

Rag Wreath



Now that it is officially spring, April for crying out loud, I thought it might be time to take down the Christmas wreath on the front door.  No, I'm not kidding.  In January, I stripped it down to just greenery and a big red bow, telling myself that it could pass for a winter wreath and remain on the front door a little longer.


Well, I think we can all agree that it's time.  Spring has sprung and all that (even if it did snow last night). So I played with a few ideas for a replacement wreath, but in the end I decided to go with a rag wreath because it looked easy enough for even me to do and I had all of the stuff, which is really just some fabric and a hanger. My kind of simple.

To get started I just took a thin wire hanger and formed it into a circular shape.  After I snapped this award-winning photo my battery died and I wasn't able to get a better shot before I added the fabric to it.  I'm posting it so you can appreciate just how hilariously hideous this picture is.  Enjoy!




I was surprised that the wreath was as easy as this tutorial advertised.  I don't usually have that kind of success, but if you can tie a knot, you can make this wreath. 


If you can tie a knot, you can make this wreath.


I got the easy instructions from Handmade Mamas (fabulous site!).   I love that they recommend using an old coat hanger for the base.  That appeals to my cheap frugal side.





When I finished, it looked a little plain so I added some red fabric and left some of the ties longer to simulate a ribbon.  I also made three fabric rosettes and glued those on.  I took a long strip (maybe about 30 inches long) of fabric that was approximately 1 inch wide and just rolled it up.  I kept the fraying edges upward to give it a more rustic look, then just used the glue gun to glue then on.  Super easy.




Bye bye winter.


You might also like:
Book Page Wreath



Linking up here:
More The Merrier #7 - The DIY Home Sweet Home
Take a Look Tuesday - Sugar Bee Crafts
Wow Us Wednesdays - Savvy Southern Style
SYS Blog Party - Somewhat Simple
Hookin Up With HOH- House of Hepworths
Feature Yourself Friday - Fingerprints on the Fridge
Flaunt It Friday - Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday - Shabby Nest
Frugalicious Friday -- Finding Fabulous Blog
Weekend Bloggy Reading - Serenity Now
Feature Friday Link Party - Spunky Junky

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your wreath! I may have to try this.

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Your wreath looks great, Terry! The red fabric bow really looks wonderful against your exterior doors and brick. I'm so nosy, but I have to ask about the little gargoyle-like creature on your step- does he bite?! Actually, he's very cute ;)

Brandy J. said...

I love this wreath (and the price). I'm your newest follower. Thanks for creating such an inspirational blog for all of us to enjoy!

jandjhome said...

Ok, this is gorgeous. I love how the flowers are so perfect for it. Gret job.

Lanell said...

Hi Terry,
Welcome to the world of blogging. I have only been doing it a couple months myself and probably spend a little to much time on the computer. I love the rag wreath. I found you at the Spunky Junky link party and think I could handle a project like this. Sooo cute.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...