Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jewelry Board



I have caught the bug.  Michelle at All That's Comfortable has made a couple of the sweetest jewelry/bulletin boards and now I must have one.  A couple months ago I revamped a bulletin board into a funky green and black piece for my office.  As so often happens, I loved it for awhile.  But now?  Not so much.



Here is what I started with:


I needed a change and I needed to use up some black and gold fabric that I left over from the table runner project.  I kept the black frame and used the glue gun to attach the fabric to the bulletin board face.  It would have been so much easier if I could have removed the bulletin board from the frame and been able to wrap the fabric around, but I couldn't figure out a way to detach it and was afraid of breaking it.

As I went around, I turned the fabric under so that it would have a cleaner edge.  When I held it up it looked kind of plain.  I fiddled around with some ribbon but couldn't get it to look right.  Then I had an 'aha' moment, remembering some sweet fabric flowers that I had seen.  There is a great tutorial for them over at Little Birdie Secrets but basically you just start with strips of fabric (the length of the fabric determines how large the flower will be), twist and glue, twist and glue. I burned my fingers numerous times but focused on the 'no pain, no gain' philosophy and toughed it out.



I did one large and three smaller flowers and then hand sewed buttons in the centre of each one to make them look more like flowers.  The large one went in the bottom corner on a bed of folded ribbon just to give it a bit more texture and girliness.  (you can also see our 1-day old living room carpet in this shot).


This is the trio of smaller rosettes.


Who doesn't love a good before and after shot?  Enjoy.
Where I'm linking up:

Wow Us Wednesdays
SYS Blog Link Party
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Feature Yourself Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Frugal Friday
I Heart Naptime
Newbie Party
Before and After Party

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! So pretty! I love the material and the flowers you made are so sweet. Looks really nice Terry. :)

Little City Farm said...

Thanks Michelle. You were the inspiration for this piece. :)

Sylvia N. said...

Hey, it looks like you are a new blogger as of Jan 1 2011, just like me! I am now a follower and I can't wait to dig around in your back posts! Thanks for the visit.....I suffer from craft ADHD, and I just jump from project to project when I really need to spend some time developing an idea.....love these materials!

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Terry, thanks for joining my newbie party. I love the rosettes, I really want to try to make some.

Susan said...

Very pretty! I would love to try some rosettes for my memo board sometime! If I do, I'll come back here and re-read!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

This looks great - I must get around to sorting out all my piles of jewellery sometime soon. Whenever I use my glue gun I always end up covered in small burns and strings of glue!

Visiting from Debbie's newbie party, happy to follow, pop over and say hi.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a great way to store your jewelry. I really need to do something like that as mine are always in knots.

Ispirato Design said...

That would make such an awesome graduation gift- especially for the girls going off to college! I'm visiting from Debbydoos, We're both newbies...Lets follow each other!

DIYbyDesign said...

That really came out beautiful. I found you over at Debbie's party. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...