Monday, April 25, 2011

No More Wrinkles

Aren't we always happy for a shortcut that will make laundry or cleaning easier?  I know I am so I was excited to try two recipes from Homemade Mamas.


The first one I tried was an all-purpose cleaner made with borax, washing soda, liquid dish soap and water.  This one was supposed to make my stainless steel appliances shine with no streaks.  It didn't.  At all.  In fact, it was quite a mess.  Normally I use a water/vinegar combo with microfibre cloths and this works fine for me (of course I wanted something even easier though).  I don't know if the buildup of the vinegar caused the problem or what, but this was a complete FAIL for me.

ADDENDUM -- I tried this concoction on the stainless barbecue that had been covered but sat outside all winter and it worked fabulously.  Cut through the grease and the grime like lightning.

The second recipe, however, did work.  This one was for a wrinkle releaser and it was made up of liquid fabric softener, vinegar, and water.  Here is a picture of my t-shirt BEFORE spraying:


And here is a picture of my t-shirt AFTER spraying:


It isn't a crisp finish but I would definitely wear this t-shirt now, whereas it was too wrinkly beforehand.  The only problem is that you have to get the shirt pretty wet.  It isn't sopping, but it is too wet to wear comfortably if you need it right away.  I think this would be perfect for when you forget items in the dryer (I am the queen of doing this) and spray the wrinkles away before putting them away.  Then there would be enough time to dry before you needed to wear the item, but you still get away from ironing.  I hate ironing.  Hate.  Another plus is that my hands smell amazing from the fabric softener.  Mmmmmm.

So I now have a big box of Borax and a big box of washing soda to use up.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

I hate ironing too, Terry. The thing I like about coat weather is that you can wear whatever you like (in public) underneath the coat and no one knows. I'll have to start worrying about wrinkles- of the fabric variety- soon, though. Thanks for the tip about the homemade stainless steal cleaner- I'll stick to my store bought stuff! But, hey, it's good to try new things!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...